Thursday, March 6, 2008

"After what I've been through, this gator means nothing to me!"





Shooting day 3
Taunton/Dachau
in: 7:30am
out:9pm

I was screaming these words to young Jeremy while racing through base camp in the gator delivering sandbags to various places after wrap. Young Jeremy was holding on for dear life and looking pretty miserable. I love our gator. It is truly bitchin' four wheeling around the concentration camp. However, this evening I probably wasn't using the best judgement. Driving a heavily armed golf cart at dangerous speeds though a high pedestrian/vehicle traffic area at night. Did I mention that because of the very smartly designed carrying cage/roll bar that we had built to carry big stuff, we have a pair of 2X4s placed directly in front of the headlights? Nice. After we delivered the bags, I asked young Jeremy if he wanted to go for a little four wheel around Dachau before we put the gator away. "Definitely not!". Young Jeremy clearly hates having to get in the gator with me.
Why, you ask, would a reasonable man and a responsible professional be doing such reckless and irresponsible things?

...A few hours earlier.

I AM CONVINCED THAT I'M GOING TO DIE!!!!!

I am harnessed to an aerial lift platform, about 60 feet in the air. Attached to the bottom of my basket, by way of 20 foot truss and rope, is a aluminum frame, 20ft by 30ft. Spread across this frame is a black cloth material. After this I found out that there had been severe wind warnings. So,hopefully you're starting to get the picture, I am way up in the air in a little cage on a ferociously windy day with A FUCKING SAIL blowing in the breeze and causing me to see my life flash before my eyes. Even though the frame was tied off as best it could be and there was plenty of ground support. It was insane up there! the sail was pulling the entire condor and I was being thrown all over the basket. I was terrified. Who wouldn't be. When you're in the lift you generally have direct communication with the key. its important to use decorum in these interactions. Usually not a problem for me. At one point, Chris the key grip asked me how it was going. I screamed into the walkie "Its fuckin windy up here" . I was never so happy to see the muddy ground of Dachau as much as I did upon landing after 3 hours up there.
The upside is that I was the big hero. The downside is that my back is killing me after being thown from pillar to post for 3 hours.

Question: how come in every picture I take of concentration camp extras, they look like they're rockin' the latest freshest gear? Weird. I guess a lot of them did come from the ghetto.

No comments: